January 23, 2013

Crochet Ball Cover



     Here is a great way to re purpose those very dirty and worn-out old tennis balls. They make a great new toy for your favorite four-legged friend.
 




Supplies:
     5.00 mm crochet hook
     multi-color worsted weight yarn in your desired color choice
     stitch marker
     tennis ball
     scissors


Abbreviations Used:
     Rnd(s) --- round(s)
     ch --- chain
     sc --- single-crochet
     st/stitches --- stitch/stitches
     sc2tog --- single-crochet 2 stitches together


Notes:
     --- Be sure to move the stitch marker up as you complete each round.

     --- If you cannot find a tennis ball,  any ball that is close to the same size will work just as well.





~Pattern~ 

     Rnd 1: ch 2; 6sc in second ch from hook - 6sts
     Rnd 2: 2sc in each st around - 12sts
     Rnd 3: 2sc in first st, 1sc in next st; repeat to end - 18sts
     Rnd 4: 2sc in first st, 1sc in next 2sts; repeat to end - 24sts
     Rnd 5: 2sc in first st, 1sc in next 3sts; repeat to end - 30sts
     Rnd 6: 2sc in first st, 1sc in next 4sts; repeat to end - 36sts
     Rnds 7-11: 1sc in each st around - 36sts
     Place the tennis ball into the Cover; the remainder of the Rnds will be worked with the tennis ball inside.




     Rnd 12: sc2tog, 1sc in next 4sts; repeat to end - 30sts
     Rnd 13: sc2rog, 1sc in next 3sts; repeat to end - 24sts
     Rnd 14: sc2tog, 1sc in next 2sts; repeat to end - 18sts
     Rnd 15: sc2tog, 1sc in next st; repeat to end - 12sts
     Rnd 16: sc2tog; repeat to end - 6sts
     Fasten off; tie off and trim all loose threads.


  



      This pattern is my own creation, so please do not sell, distribute, post on any other websites, or claim it as your own. If you wish to share my design with others, post a link to my page. 
     I do not care if you sell the finished item you make at a craft fair, fundraiser, or just give it away as a gift; but please do give me credit for the pattern.




3 comments:

  1. Great simple pattern. I used it to put wool around my dogs tennis ball, then I felted it. Thank you. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern. I am using it to try to make dryer wool tennis balls. I am going to make one and experiment with washing and drying it to felt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this project and loved it. I got about half way through and had to switch to a 3.5mm needle but love the outcome for my puppy. Thank you :))

    ReplyDelete